Based on neuroscientific research, the Trauma Resiliency Model teaches you skills to regulate your own nervous system, empowering you to face your trauma in a new and powerful way.
Using practical skills and somatic therapy techniques, the Trauma Resiliency Model helps you re-establish a sense of safety in your own body, restoring a sense of peace and vitality.
Using TRM, our therapists will help you develop greater resiliency and restore balance in your body and mind after traumatic experiences by walking you through the steps you can take to rebalance your nervous system and feel like yourself again.
When we begin to understand that our trauma symptoms are normal, that is, they are natural biological responses to traumatic events, there is a paradigm shift in which we begin to understand there’s nothing wrong with.
When we learn that our symptoms are natural and biological, we no longer have to view ourselves as “weak” when we’re suffering (which just adds insult to injury.)
Normalizing traumatic symptoms allows us to move away from self-blame and shame and towards healing.
The Trauma Resiliency Model (TRM) is an innovative therapeutic approach to trauma that addresses the physical response traumatic events.
TRM is a holistic, body-based approach that can be used independently or in addition to other types of therapies.
As a type of somatic therapy, TRM uses the body’s senses to build healthier pathways within our muscle memory, working with our natural reflexes, not against them.
TRM focuses on the biological and neurological causes of trauma, and the uncontrolled, reflexive defense mechanisms that the human body responds with when faced with triggers and perceived harm.
This includes fight or flight responses, freezing up, and other things the body may do to protect itself from harm.
NINE SKILLS OF TRM
The Trauma Resiliency Model consists of nine skills that use sensory awareness for emotional regulation and trauma integration including:
- Tracking. Tracking teaches us to tune into our own senses and bodily reactions in real time.
- Resourcing. Resourcing helps us build a repository of safe feelings, memories, and ideas, which we can draw upon to self-regulate during times of distress.
- Grounding. Grounding allows us to reconnect to our physical bodies by focusing on the safety of our concrete, immediate surroundings.
- Gesturing. Gesturing is used as a means of self-soothing through developing a set of calming physical movements.
- “Help now.” “Help now” is a skill that trains us to locate resources of resiliency within our own bodies when we are feeling emotionally dysregulated or triggered.
- “Shift and stay.” “Shift and stay” is a technique in which we empower ourselves to shit our awareness away from difficult sensations and towards physical wellness, teaching ourselves to experience greater safety and wellbeing.
- Titration. Titration teaches us to decouple our trauma responses from their triggers by slowly and gently desensitising ourselves to stressful stimuli.
- Pendulation. Pendulation is a method in which we learn to oscillate between feelings of trauma and feelings of safety in a controlled and deliberate way, like a pendulum.
- Completion of Survival Responses. Completion allows us to act out our natural survival responses physically in a safe environment.
HOW WE WORK WITH TRM
At My LA Therapy, we understand that trauma symptoms are simply the body’s attempt to re-establish equilibrium within the nervous system.
In other words, it’s not your fault.
Using TRM, we will provide you with the skills to re-calibrate your nervous system to become more aware of your body’s internal state, restoring a sense of safety and vitality.
The best part is, these skills are really easy to implement into your everyday routine, even outside of your therapy sessions.
In addition, we will use TRM to help you challenge harmful beliefs that may be causing a negative impact on your life, or may be holding you back from the life you want to create and who you want to be.
At My LA Therapy, we are trained in the Trauma Resiliency Model and many other empirically proven trauma interventions and we are ready to help you create a customized treatment plan.
We will work with you at a pace that is comfortable for you, drawing on the latest research to help you with your specific needs and integrating other methods as needed to help optimize your care and accelerate your healing.
Working together to increase your trauma resiliency will allow you to feel empowered to face your trauma in a new and effective way so you can restore peace, discover greater freedom, and get your life back.
MORE ABOUT TRM
The skills taught within TRM can be practiced by people of all ages, in response to all types of trauma.
TRM is beneficial for any person who has experienced or witnessed an event that was perceived as life threatening or posed a serious injury to themselves or others.
It has been designed as both a trauma reprocessing treatment model as well as a self-care model.
MY LA THERAPY METHODS
At My LA Therapy, our TRM therapists use the latest research and methods in order to help you reach your highest potential.
Therapy can successfully improve your life by helping you minimize your anxiety, identifying and changing underlying thought and behavioral patterns that contribute to your struggles, and providing you with strategies to decrease discomfort while restoring an overall sense of peace.
To experience true and lasting joy in our life, we must face and conquer our pain by healing our underlying trauma and confronting our fears.
TRM is an evidence-based, scientifically-proven intervention that has been demonstrated by research to be effective in addressing a wide range of mental health conditions including trauma, anxiety, depression, and other related disorders.
WANT TO TALK? SPEAK WITH A TRM EXPERT NOW
If you have any questions, contact one of our TRM specialists for a free consultation any time.