The Relationship Between Stress, Anxiety, and Skin Issues
You may have the perfect skincare regimen. However, if you deal with frequent stress, your skin may not be perfect. The skin is the largest organ of our body, and just like every other organ, it doesn’t do well when we are distressed.
If you are taking utmost care of your skin, eating healthy, and still struggling with hormonal acne, inflammation, or aging skin, stress could be the culprit. Not only will you need to fine-tune your skincare routine accordingly, but you will also need to master stress-management techniques. Here are some signs that could indicate stress-induced skin issues.
How Does Stress Affect Our Skin?
Our skin contains receptors and mediators for different types of stress. Moreover, studies have established that stress impacts the inflammatory and immune response of the skin, too. Here are some of how anxiety and stress can damage your skin:
- Stress increases the cortisol levels in the body, which leads to higher oil production on the skin, causing acne.
- Stress impacts the immune system, which can make your skin more sensitive, leading to redness, rashes, and hives.
- It can also cause a flare-up of inflammatory skin diseases like rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Anxiety might make you pick at your skin and further aggravate acne or sensitivity.
The Impact of Stress on Our Skin
Here are some of the most common skin conditions associated with stress. If you are struggling with any of these, stress and anxiety might be the reason behind them!
- Acne – According to studies, there is a direct correlation between stress and acne severity. Whenever we are stressed out, our body releases the stress hormone called cortisol. This hormone increases the oil production on the skin. Excess oil or sebum can lead to clogged pores, which causes acne. You may notice that your skin breaks out more often when you are going through stressful times.
- Inflammatory Diseases – Stress affects the inflammatory response of the body and exaggerates inflammatory skin conditions. Some of these inflammatory conditions include eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea. Most of these conditions are marked by skin irritation, rashes, redness, or flaking. These symptoms may flare up every time you are stressed out. In the case of chronic stress or anxiety, these diseases may become chronic too. One of the most popular clear skin tipsis to calm your mind and skin with meditation.
- Weakened Skin Barrier – The skin barrier is a protective shield that defends the skin against environmental damage, infection, and aging. Stress can impair the barrier function and result in transepidermal water loss. A weakened barrier makes the skin more prone to infection, inflammation, and aging. Sudden and unexplained skin issues could be a result of stress-induced barrier damage. Targeted skincare products for these skin issues can help you out. According to Solvaderm reviews, the science-backed skincare products from the brand address many skin concerns.
- Premature Aging –Chronic stress can result in premature aging, which shows up as spots and fine lines on the skin. To prevent this, you can consume skin supplements that contain anti-aging and anti-inflammatory ingredients. Beverly Hills MD Dermal Repair Complex is a skin supplement that provides collagen to reduce wrinkles, along with other anti-aging ingredients. According to Dermal Repair Complex reviews, users found this supplement helpful against aging. You may try it for premature aging caused by stress.
Tips on How to Protect Your Skin from Stress
The best way to protect your skin from stress is to avoid stressors altogether. However, if we were to be realistic, your day-to-day lives cannot be completely stress-free. Moreover, our skin encounters environmental stressors like sunlight and pollution. You can try these clear skin tips to keep your skin healthy even when you are exposed to stress.
- Consume Skin Supplements – When our body is under stress, our skin suffers from hormonal imbalances, water and collagen loss, and inflammation. Skin supplements contain ingredients that can counteract these changes to keep your skin healthy and youthful.
Dermal Repair Complex is a skin supplement that contains natural extracts that may combat aging. It also contains Hyaluronic Acid to moisturize the skin and reduce wrinkles. Dermal Repair Complex reviews are somewhat positive and indicate that this supplement may be able to help against aging.
- Use Anti-Inflammatory Products – To address the inflammation caused by stress, use soothing and anti-inflammatory products in your skincare regimen. Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Green Tea are some of the anti-inflammatory ingredients to look out for. You should also use anti-aging eye creams with these ingredients because the under-eye skin is the most prone to stress-induced aging. Furthermore, remember to moisturize your skin well to strengthen your skin barrier.
- Try Anti-Aging Skincare – If you live a stressful lifestyle, you must include anti-aging products in your skincare routine at the earliest. Use skin-renewing and anti-wrinkle products to keep all the signs of aging at bay.
Solvaderm is a promising skincare brand that offers a wide range of anti-aging products for all skin types. As per Solvaderm reviews, these products can combat the signs of aging and keep your skin youthful for the years to come.
- Consult A Dermatologist – If your stress-induced skin concerns are severe, it is best to consult a dermatologist for prompt treatment. Over-the-counter skincare products can help with mild to moderate skin issues, but medical treatments are the most suitable for severe acne and inflammation. So, if you are facing severe skin issues, consult a dermatologist at the earliest to protect your skin from further damage.
It may not seem visible at first glance, but a variety of your skin issues are usually a result of stress. Stress impacts the functioning of most of our organs, and our skin is no exception. It can weaken our skin, make it prone to inflammation, and even cause hormonal acne or premature aging.
The best way to ensure a healthy mind and youthful skin is to avoid or manage stress better. This would include sleeping well, consuming healthy food, meditating, and following other calming techniques. However, some amount of stress from time to time is unavoidable in the hustle of life. You can use skin-strengthening products and anti-aging eye creams to combat stress-induced skin damage in the eye area.
By using soothing, anti-inflammatory skincare products, you can minimize the risk of skin damage caused by aging. This calming and healing skincare routine will not just soothe your skin but will reduce your stress too!
Guest Writer Bio
Sophia Anthony is a freelance writer and blogger, covering health and fitness topics through visual representation. She is very passionate about general health and beauty. Apart from work she likes dancing and listening to music. You can also contact her on Facebook, and Instagram.
Thank you for your wonderful blog.
I always find interesting topics here
I am a college student, I work and study, I often have stress because of deadlines and I notice how it correlates with my skin condition. I think a comprehensive approach is important here.
I would like to see an article on how to avoid stress and properly manage time for rest and work. Thank you in advance!
Thank you for your feedback!