Creatives & Artists (Creative Blocks)
ABOUT WORKING WITH CREATIVE BLOCKS IN CREATIVES AND ARTISTS
Being an artist means that you express the deepest parts of yourself to the world. It takes great courage to be one. But sometimes in the course of life, roadblocks whether external or self-imposed, may appear which will negatively impact the creative process. Those individuals in creative professions are often affected and it can last for an extended period of time. This can affect work, performance, and an individual’s overall well-being. It can often be difficult to fully overcome a creative block.
Although a creative block is usually temporary, when the individual fully relies on their creativity for financial circumstances, it can cause anxiety, doubt, or fear. This can lead to depression, distress, and feelings of worthlessness. These symptoms can indeed, cause a negatively effect on one’s own self-esteem.
Creative blocks can also occur due to:
- The death of a loved one or the end of a relationship
- Lack of financial support
- The depletion of all creative energy after a fully immersed period of creating
- Self-doubt that pertains to both ability and talent
- Constant rejection of one’s work
- Anxiety due to the outcome of a certain project or task
- The continuous need for perfection
- The dependence on substances to be creative
- Onset of an illness or medical condition
- A sudden loss of meaning and purpose in one’s work
- Negative thoughts of one’s self or criticism
Knowing more about creative blocks and their occurrences, can help you work to face this and avoid its return. Getting help will allow you to work through creative blocks and bring upon your past creativity again. My function as a therapist is to get you to a place where you and your art just flow. Together we will find that place. I’ve worked with artists of all stripes to get them back to their creative center where they desire to be.