Group therapy can be a powerful way to heal; in fact, research has demonstrated that group therapy is as effective as individual therapy.
Being in a group setting allows us to realize that we are not alone in our struggles, that other people – wonderful, talented and strong people – struggle just like us.
There truly is “strength in numbers.”
Through observing others, we begin to see that our pain is not unique and we are more normal than we think.
We learn to accept and provide support.
Receiving acceptance from others helps us accept ourselves, and providing support to others can create a sense of purpose and worth as we demonstrate how we can powerfully affect the lives of others and help them heal.
We offer a wide variety of groups from support/process to psychoeducational to expressive.
If you have a specific group you’d like to form, please contact us and let us know. If you have any questions or would like to learn more about our groups, we encourage you to reach out.
BENEFITS OF GROUP THERAPY
As mentioned before, there can be many benefits to group therapy sessions.
Here are some of the most common benefits that hopefully you will experience as well:
- It will help you realize that you are not alone.
- A lot of clients seek therapy because they feel as if they are the only person experiencing the struggles they are facing. However, you might be surprised once you realize that many people are feeling exactly the same way you do. You might have a unique history that led you to where you are today, but the feelings are almost always shared by someone else, even if they are grappling with different circumstances. As we see our struggles in another person and experience compassion for them, it can help us begin to cultivate greater self-acceptance and compassion for our own struggles and realize we are not broken.
- It helps make it easier to give and receive support.
- Group therapy is not conducted like a group interview, where each person turns to the therapist to answer a specific question. Instead, you are encouraged to turn to each other; maybe share a similar experience, and provide empathy and encouraging words. This can be a meaningful way to connect with others and feel supported and cared for, while also providing support and caring for others.
- It can help you relate to other people and yourself in a healthier way.
- Through group therapy, you are able to explain why you might ask someone a question, or why you might take certain actions, and get feedback from the members in your group on better ways to go about it, or what you are doing well. This way, you can implement what you learn into your real life and benefit from it. Feedback can help you see yourself from a different angle and see perspectives about your problems and relationships in a new light that can allow you to take a more empowered approach.
THERAPEUTIC YOGA FOR ANXIETY GROUP
In this six week group, explore the benefits of mindfulness and therapeutic yoga. Each week, you’ll be guided through a beginner’s level gentle, therapeutic yoga practice (no prior yoga experience necessary) complemented with breathing techniques, guided imagery and meditations all with the intention of connecting to self and managing anxiety. Therapeutic yoga is a powerful practice, one that can shift the mind and body from fight or flight into a more relaxed, grounded state; a helpful and soothing ally in the face of anxiety and trying times. Practicing together in community can deepen the overall experience and benefits, explore for yourself!
Location: on Zoom
Facilitator(s): Alison is a licensed psychotherapist, Kripalu Yoga instructor, Advanced Teacher of Therapeutic Yoga, and Reiki Master. She’s passionate about incorporating mindfulness and body awareness into the work she does with clients, especially in the treatment of anxiety and trauma. In her therapeutic yoga classes, Alison places a strong emphasis on intentional movement paired with compassionate choices; an opportunity for self-inquiry and deep self-care. Alison created this group based on her own specialized training in multiple modalities, and has successfully facilitated this group in several outpatient mental health settings. She is excited to transfer it to zoom! Please contact her directly if interested.
WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT GROUP
Welcome to your group for community, empowerment, and self-transformation for women. Create meaningful connections with like-minded young women on the same path of self-discovery.
This group will also focus on practical skills you can implement in your life to become more empowered including assertiveness, self-esteem, self-care, relationship and communication, work and/or academic environment, family, intimacy, and financial empowerment.
As your group facilitators, we will create a safe environment to explore, share, and learn from other women through skill building and supportive exploration on topics such as:
- Safety in relationships
- Empowered communication
- Trauma healing
- Coping skills
Population: Female-identified clients, ages 20-35 with a maximum of 8 women
Structure/Commitment: This is an ongoing weekly process/support group. The expectation is to attend all weekly sessions with an 8-week minimum requirement.
Length/Time: 90 minutes
Location: on Zoom
Dates: TBD based on group and therapist availability
OVERCOMING ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION GROUP
Sometimes you may feel like you are the only one with these issues, but they are common and respond very well to therapy.
We’ve put together a group so you can learn from each other and support each other.
In this process group, we explore the underlying causes of anxiety and depression; we’ll begin to face your issues head-on and practice another way of being.
We will practice techniques to regulate anxiety, as well as explore what we may be avoiding and channeling into anxiety and depression, which may cause problems in many areas of life, such as relationships and your career.
We will provide support, acceptance, and compassion to each of our members and explore triggers of anxiety and depression.
Location: on Zoom
ONLINE COVID-19 SUPPORT GROUP
During this time of social distancing you might feel isolated, alone and scared. This group will provide strategies, support, and social interaction in order to help all of us stay connected. The topics discussed include but are not limited to anxiety, depression, stress, financial pressure and other challenges that have been brought up from this pandemic.
Location: on Zoom
OTHER UPCOMING GROUPS
OUR THERAPY METHODS
Therapy can improve your life by minimizing the anxiety in your life, identifying and changing underlying thought and behavioral patterns that contribute to your struggles, and providing you with strategies to decrease discomfort while restoring an overall sense of peace.
See the About Therapy page for a deeper look into this process.
Our evidence-based, scientifically proven interventions are demonstrated by research to be effective in addressing a wide range of psychological, mental health, and relationship issues.
Learn more about our empirically based therapy modalities by visiting our Methods page.
WANT TO TALK? SPEAK WITH A GROUP THERAPY EXPERT NOW
If you have any questions, contact one of our specialists for a free consultation any time.