For centuries, dreams have sparked a sense of mystery and interest among individuals.
Many cultures and spiritual practices interpret dreams and dream symbols, devoting significance to this mysterious piece of our psyche.
In psychology, dreams are understood as the communication between our unconscious and conscious mind.
While in many traditions each dream symbol has its assigned meaning, in psychology we believe that dreams can only be understood in the context of the individual.
The meaning of a symbol is subjective and unique to you.
Exploring your dreams and finding the truthful nature behind them plays an ongoing role in fully understanding yourself.
Dreams often allow us to play out and process painful and confusing emotions and experiences we have had, powerfully revealing a person’s deepest wounds and greatest desires.
Exploring and understanding the significance of your dreams is a key component in gaining a deeper understanding of yourself.
The main goal of dream analysis is to allow you to examine the problems you’re facing in your daily lives.
However, it can also help in understanding certain mental health issues as well.
This includes addressing concerns such as post-traumatic stress or chronic nightmares.
HOW IT WORKS
Therapy is a place to begin looking at your dreams more thoughtfully, a place to dig deeper into their meaning in a safe and non-judgmental space.
During this process, we discuss and analyze the dream and bring upon new information.
This new information can be applied to your life in a useful way.
A psychotherapist with experience in dream analysis will be able to guide you through your dreams and work with you to uncover the psychological meaning they may hold in the context of your life.
Overall, working on your dreams and fully understanding them is an important technique, which leads to many benefits.
A hypnotherapist can also help you heal by understanding your dreams.
Hypnosis and dream interpretation have been used together for over 4,000 years now.
Ancient Egyptians once used sleep or dream temples as a form of therapy.
By inducing the dream state, a hypnotherapist is able to work with you to interpret the symbolism from your dreams and uncover areas of trauma that may be negatively affecting your life.
Also, the advantage of induced hypnotic dreaming is the ability to express emotions during the dream trance state.
The mind will take you straight to the issues that need healing.
HOW DREAM ANALYSIS MIGHT ALSO BE USED DURING YOUR SESSION
There are various techniques, models, and therapies that can be applied to dream analysis.
Some of these include psychoanalysis, Jungian analysis, gestalt therapy, and existential art therapy.
All these techniques begin in a similar way, with you telling your dream to the therapist, discussing and analyzing the dream with your therapist, and walking away with a new perspective on the dream.
Here are how some of the other techniques can be used to analyze your dreams:
- Psychoanalysis or psychodynamic therapy
- When using this technique to interpret your dream, you need to know that this theory says that your dreams represent any desires you might have, any internal conflicts you might face, and any wishes you might want to unconsciously fulfill. This theory also states that dreams have manifest content, which is the information from your dream that you are able to tell your therapist (i.e. what happened in the dream), and latent content, which can also be phrased as the hidden meaning of your dream. Overall, this technique focuses on the idea that your dreams are made in an effort to hide or repress unwanted desires or emotions you might have.
- Jungian dream analysis
- This technique of dream analysis places more of a focus on the dreamer in order to analyze the message of the dream. This method also claims that dreams include an “attempt to express and create” within their hidden meanings. This method of dream analysis also incorporates another technique, known as “amplification.” Amplification is used to explore what unconscious thoughts might be in your dream that are universally acknowledged and shared by all people. Jungian analysis also examines archetypes and how dream symbolism represents the “collective unconscious.”
- Gestalt therapy
- This technique of dream analysis claims that dreams are messages that we send from ourselves to ourselves, and so the therapists will work with you to figure out what the messages mean. This method also incorporates the “take part of” technique, in which you will be taught how to see and analyze the dream from the perspective of everyone or everything in your dream.
- Existential art therapy
- This method of dream analysis uses an existential view to analyze your dreams. A focus is placed on analyzing your dream through art, and understanding what your dream might mean from the visual aspect.
Using dream analysis to bring the unconscious into your conscious awareness can be a powerful way to become more self-aware, empowered, and awake to our deepest needs and desires.
OUR THERAPY METHODS
Therapy can improve your life by minimizing the anxiety in your life, identifying and changing underlying thought and behavioral patterns that contribute to your struggles, and providing you with strategies to decrease discomfort while restoring an overall sense of peace.
See the About Therapy page for a deeper look into this process.
Our evidence-based, scientifically proven interventions are demonstrated by research to be effective in alleviating a wide range of mental health conditions.
Learn more about our empirically based therapy modalities by visiting our Methods page.
WANT TO TALK? SPEAK WITH A DREAM ANALYSIS EXPERT NOW
If you have any questions, contact one of our dream analysis specialists for a free consultation any time.