Love can be one of the most powerful and beautiful experiences in life, but at times it can also bring us more pain than joy.
Can you relate?
Sometimes poor communication, unspoken conflicts, or past pain can get in the way of feeling deeply connected to our partners.
Sometimes, when these things accumulate over time, they can even make our relationships feel like warzones.
The foundation of trust may weaken and the close bond that used to define our relationship can disappear.
When that happens, it’s time to reach out to a couples therapist who can help put you back on track.
HOW WE WORK WITH COUPLES
During couples therapy, you will learn how both you and your partner play a role in the problems within your relationship.
With the guidance of our therapists, you will learn to communicate openly in a safe environment and begin to uncover the root of the problems you’re experiencing.
We will help you identify the pain points of your relationship and teach how to change the dynamics.
We’ll also explore how past experiences contribute to differing expectations about behavior, communication, and conflict resolution.
As you become more aware of the assumptions you carry into the relationship, you can begin to create a new set of expectations that both of you understand and support.
Our goal is for you to leave our sessions feeling empowered and able to freely express your love again — and to regain a deeper, more satisfying relationship.
Once each of you takes responsibility for your own behaviors, you will begin to heal the trust within your relationship and restore a deep sense of intimacy and love.
OUR COUPLES THERAPY METHODS
There are several methods that we use in couples therapy, including the Gottman Method, Imago Method, and Emotion Focused Couples Therapy.
Here’s a breakdown on how each of these methods work.
THE GOTTMAN METHOD
This method was created by Dr. John and Dr. Julie Gottman, and focuses on nine foundational components that are needed to build a healthy relationship.
These include the following:
- Building Love Maps: This is a technique to figure out how well you understand your partner. Through love maps, you can find out how in touch you are with your partner’s worries, stressors, and things that bring them joy.
- Sharing fondness and admiration
- This is done by showing each other respect and appreciating each other.
- Turning towards instead of away
- This is vital in communication; tell your partner what you need and allow them into your life instead of blocking them out.
- The positive perspective
- Whenever you’re trying to solve problems, have a positive approach.
- Managing conflict
- You need to understand that conflict is normal, and that each person has their own way of dealing with it.
- Making life dreams come true
- This can be done by encouraging each others’ hopes and dreams.
- Creating shared meaning
- This is done by understanding the important goals and roadblocks you might have in your relationship
- This is extremely important. Trust is when you know you can rely on your partner, and when you know they will stand up for you and be there for you all the time.
- This is also vital; staying committed to your partner is important to ensure a long-lasting and fulfilling relationship.
This type of method is useful in understanding your own and your partner’s childhood trauma and feelings, so that you might understand why someone is acting the way they do, and how to resolve these issues and move forward in a more healthy manner.
EMOTIONALLY FOCUSED THERAPY
This method focuses on the importance of emotions and social connections. Emotion-Focused couples therapy aims to establish a secure bond between couples, shift interactions between you and your partner towards a positive direction, and understand and organize your emotional responses.
Additionally, Emotion-Focused therapy has been proven to be extremely effective between many different types of couples, throughout different ethnicities and locations around the world. It has also been proven to be effective with couples facing anxiety due to trauma, depression, or any chronic illnesses.
Therapy can successfully improve your life by helping you identify and change underlying thought and behavioral patterns that contribute to your struggles, and providing you with strategies to decrease discomfort while restoring an overall sense of peace.
Our evidence-based, scientifically proven interventions are demonstrated by research to be effective in addressing issues commonly faced by couples and other mental health issues that may be having a detrimental effect on your relationship.
WANT TO TALK? SPEAK WITH A COUPLES THERAPY EXPERT NOW
If you have any questions, contact one of our specialists for a free consultation any time.